What to Expect from CAPS:
During the COVID-19 global health crisis, the Counseling Center will be open and is serving students via telemental health in accordance with current professional recommendations for mental health services. Please click here for more information about telehealth appointments.
What do we do? What do we offer?Individual and relational counseling services are offered to Mercer students on the Macon campus. Each session is 45-50 minutes long and you will meet with a counselor for initial assessment and treatment goal planning. Some students resolve their concerns in one session, while others may attend counseling on a regular basis for multiple weeks.
- Individual counseling provides students with a safe space to explore personal issues that can arise during their college experience such as:
|Suicidal or Homicidal Thoughts||Difficulties with Self-Esteem or Self-Identity|
|Self-Injury||Grief and Loss|
|Stress Management||Family Issues|
|Relationship Issues and/or Violence||Trauma|
|Body Image Issues||Chemical Use|
- Relational counseling is for couples, roommates, or friends who are interested in examining and strengthening their relationships with each other.
- Consultation for faculty, staff, students or family members about the psychological issues that may present while interacting with students and how to assess and assist these students.
- Emergency Crisis Management Services for Mercer students
What to expect when you contact CAPS to make an appointment:If you wish to make an appointment, please call 478-301-2862. Appointments are usually available within two weeks and are scheduled for 45-50 minutes per session.
- If this is an emergency during our office hours, please contact our office to schedule an emergency triage appointment. These triage appointments are typically brief consultations with a counselor that will focus on safety and creating a plan for your next steps. This could include a follow up appointment with CAPS or connecting the student with additional campus or community resources.
- If this is an emergency after hours, please call MERPO 478-301-4357 or 911 for immediate assistance.