The mental health and well-being of our students at Mercer University is a top priority. During the COVID-19 global health crisis, the Counseling Center will be open and is serving students via telemental health in accordance with current professional recommendations for mental health services. We are committed to supporting studnet mental health while also protecting the health and safety of the members of our community. No in-person services will be provided at this time, unless there is an emergency requiring safety assessments.
To participate in Telemental Health services student must:
- be physically located in the state of Georgia
- have access to a personal device (laptop, tablet, desktop or phone) with a camera
- have access to a secure internet connection
- be alone in a private location during their scheduled appointment
- if student has difficulty finding a private meeting space during appointment time, please call the CAPS office and we will work with you.
Please call CAPS at 478.301.2862 to schedule an initial or returning appointment with a counselor. See our CAPS Services (Macon) page for more info.
First time doing telehealth? Here's what to expect.
Here at CAPS we are using a HIPPA compliant video-conferencing platform called doxy.me. There is no cost to the student. We will need your permission to contact you via phone and email.
- When you call to schedule your appointment, you will receive an email with detailed instructions on completing the required paperwork and the link needed to attend the scheduled appointment.
- On the day and time of your appointment, you will login to doxy.me with the link you were provided and click on the name of the provider you are scheduled to meet with.
- Please be patient once you enter the waiting room as your clinician will ensure the required paperwork is completed and then welcome you into the scheduled meeting.
In Case of a Mental Health Emergency:
In case of a mental health emergency, please contact the CAPS office at 478.301.2862 Monday-Friday between 8:30am and 5:00pm. If your emergency is after hours, please contact Mercer Police Department at 478-301-2970 if you are on-campus or call 9-1-1 if you are off-campus.
In addition, students can access the free Georgia Crisis and Access Line at 1-800-715-4225 for either crisis assistance or assistance with locating mental health resources in their area.
For students currently out-of-state:
In accordance with professional ethical guidelines and the laws and regulations pertaining to mental health practice in the state of Georgia, students who have relocated out of state are not currently eligible for ongoing tele-health services from CAPS. However, we are happy to talk with you to help you sort out your concerns, provide continuity-of-care consultations, and help you connect with local resources.